Chapter 19 - Liquids
Terms and Objectives
New terms in Chapter 19:
|Principle of Flotation
Chapter 19 Objectives:
When you complete chapter 19, you should be able to:
- ... describe how the pressure varies at different points in a fluid; in particular the relationship between pressure in a fluid and depth.
- ... state Archimedes' Principle.
- ... calculate the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid given its volume and the density of the fluid.
- ... tell whether an object will sink or float given its density and the density of the fluid.
- ... use the Principle of Flotation to determine the weight of fluid displaced by a floating object.
- ... use Pascal's Principle to determine the changes in pressure and force in a confined fluid.
last update February 23, 2006 by JL Stanbrough