Why Ray Optics, and Why Now?
In Physics 1, instead of jumping right into Mechanics, our first
taste of "real physics" is in the area of Ray Optics. Why?
- Students get to see the extreme power and breadth of
application of a very simple physical law - the Law of Reflection.
- Students bring fewer misconceptions into Ray Optics than
Mechanics, although there are generally a couple of nice surprises
in store for them.
- Ray Optics is less abstract than Mechanics, so it is a less
frustrating place to start in Physics.
- There are an enormous number of everyday, accessible,
- Students generally find Ray Optics tremendously interesting.
Table of Contents
last update October 2, 1998 by JL Stanbrough