Ch. 20 - Gasses
Terms & Objectives
New terms in chapter 20:
When you have completed chapter 20, you should be able to:
- ... describe, in general terms, how the density of the atmosphere varies with altitude.
- ... describe, in general terms, how a simple mercury barometer works.
- ... describe, in general terms, how drinking through a straw works.
- ... tell why there is a 10.3 meter limit on the height that water can be lifted with a vacuum pump.
- ... describe, in general terms, how atmospheric pressure can crush a tin can, and relate this to the workings of an aneroid barometer.
- ... state Boyle's Law, and solve simple numerical problems involving pressure and volume.
- ... describe, using Archimedes' Principle, how a helium or hotter-than-air balloon works.
- ... state Bernoulli's Principle.
- ... apply Bernoulli's Principle to common situations, such as the lift produced by a wing, or the curving of a spinning baseball.
last update March 6, 2006 by JL Stanbrough