Ch 18 - Solids
Terms & Objectives
New terms in Ch. 18:
Ch. 18 Objectives:
When you complete Chapter 18, you should be able to:
- ... recognize that some solids have a crystal structure and some don't.
- ... give evidence for the existence of crystal structure in solids.
- ... calculate the density of a substance given its mass/weight and volume.
- ... discuss the meaning of the specific gravity of a substance.
- ... distinguish between elastic and inelastic solids.
- ... discuss what happens when a solid exceeds its elastic limit.
- ... recognize density and elasticity as properties of a substance.
- ... state Hooke's Law and use it to solve simple numerical problems.
- ... discuss compression and tension in terms of stresses on a loaded beam.
- ... discuss scaling in terms of the ratios of size, area, and volume of a substance.
- ... use scaling arguments to discuss the physical structure of animals and their interaction with their environment.
last update February 2, 2008 by JL Stanbrough